Wednesday, May 4, 2016

The anatomy of a burn.

Four years ago I suffered a burn. It was as early as five in the morning. It was a bad one. The burn left a scar all the way from my upper leg to my forelimb. The brown discolouration on my skin is my Tatooo . What  I learned from my burn:
1)The pain of women who are burned for dowry or any such gender crimes
2)when hot water falls on your track pants, your burned skin sticks to the track. The brand was Reebok
3)your face turn ashen white when you see the epidermis on your track and your skin pink white
4)When the hot water fell I Instinctively crossed my legs and protected my private parts. Natures way of protection
5) I poured cold water on my burns and tears streamed down in pain. But I did not make a sound. So as not to disturb the others who were sleeping.
6) I dropped the kids to school with a straight face . By then bubbles with a thin sheath had formed on my legs.
7)I returned and waited for Dr Shenoy to show my burns. I had finished making breakfast and lunch.
8) I called up my work place to inform about my state feeling the sneer at the other end that this must a tiny scald.
9)My father hauled me into the car to take me to the good doctor. She gasped when she saw my legs.
10) I will never forget her kindness as she cleaned the wound with her own hands and my body responded to her kindness.
11) my younger twin placed a podgy little finger on one of the bubbles and it burst. A liquid streamed out. That was the last patch to heal
12) so that my legs rest, an old lady opened the doors of her home to me and cooked a meal. She is Pramilla Ben .
13) I wore long skirts and t shirts . Everyone wanted to see the burn on my leg and gasp and sympathise with me.
14) I realised burn is also a class issue. Women from my strata of society do not get burned.
15) the leg healed slowly but surely. The doctor burst every bubble ant neosprin powder was my best friend.
16) I also learned to limp to the kitchen and cut upon a packet of MTR bissi belle bath and cooked it for myself thus getting over the fear of fire. This curtesy was someone extremely close
17) picking up the scabs is an interesting hobby. And if you pull the scabs hard then a little blood oozes out
18) the resistance of your body and soul is put to test when you are burned.
19) while living you get a feel of how your body feels when your dead body is burned. Especially the Hindus.
20)Fire sustains and also kills.
21) my father who held me when I was born a pink baby was tears stricken when he saw my pink burned legs. Parents turn old .
22) lastly , caution in the kitchen is numero uno.

No comments: